I've been learning how to hang up on the phone with my kids. It has taken a bit of thinking and overthinking to navigate if and how I'll communicate with them when they're at Dad's house. Considering whether I should call or text them through their dad or just let them reach out to me and leave that as their sacred space with him. Or if I don't reach out are they wondering why? He and I have talked about it a little. We do ok.
When we're on the phone I can tell when they're ready to go but sort of hanging in for my benefit. Lots of silence and a "Soooo..what do you want to talk about?" Tonight I could feel one heading there so I started sort of wrapping up our conversation when he says "Oh. I didn't know we were ending the call" - his voice a little flatter. We linger and he says, "We can talk as long as you'd like."
Last week I lost my car key and Oh what a pain, you know? So much digging through trash and every other entire bit of your life, the Universe laughing, go on, go through all of your shit. You've been meaning to do it. GO ON! A song. I can hear it. I still haven't found it so last night I called a locksmith and he came, sat at the work bench in the back of his van and made me a new one. I felt so much relief when he was done! I spent all this energy looking for it, fruitlessly digging. Asking for rides to and from work. Oof.
I've a new Pikachu keychain I borrowed from a kitchen pile that if I'm going to share contains (from visual memory here) portions of a kid's science experiment kit. The one you kind of want to trash the moment your kid is done using it for the first (and last) time but it still has a few cool things left you could do another sesh with and keep the instructions bc you sometimes don't and that can be annoying and then.. months later. It's just still there. Pushed off to the side of the kitchen sink. Along with several reminders to complete the census online (I did!) and a sticker and tea bag tag I wanted to put into my "journal" and haven't, a Christmas ornament, pens and alcohol swabs (those last two the inevitable trail I leave). Can you even believe I lost my key?
Anyway. If you need a locksmith, I have a number I'd gladly share!
Oh Also! Reading _Something Wicked This Way Comes_ - Ray Bradbury - has been on the shelf waiting. I've only just begun but am in the mood for this.
"Wrong Train" - The Psychedelic Furs
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for leaving a little somethin'